Monday, May 7, 2018

Introducing a Face With No Name


One would have thought that three lines of writing on the back of a photograph would have at least included one vital detail: the name of the subject. But they didn't. I guess that's what comes of not knowing how to read the language when deciding whether to rescue an abandoned family photograph. Sadly, I don't know German.

What I do know, though, is that this picture was from the mid 1870s, at the least. So I now have in my possession a veritable antiquethough that is a dubious claim to make, since my original purpose was to transport such photos from their hiding places on the back shelves of antique shops to the welcoming hands of their long-lost relatives.

Since we've been talking about this one particular photograph I found in northern Californiaone which apparently came from Heidelberg in GermanyI think it is about time I introduced our subject to you. Of course, this won't be a proper introduction, as I don't know the woman's name. All the same, this is a perfect moment to allow you to make her acquaintance.

I'd love it if, at some point, we could discover her name. Foiled by tiny handwriting in a foreign language, I had hoped we would have enough information already written on the photograph. But no. And so she remains a mere curiosity in my own collection, while surely someone is out there who wishes he or she could have had a picture of that very same ancestor.


11 comments:

  1. Looking at her hands makes me wonder if she was a smallish person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting observation, Sallysmom. Actually, there are so many details in this photograph that make me wonder.

      Delete
  2. I remember that peculiar feeling of surprise when I met one of my gazillion 5th cousins and he had the same photos of a family reunion that I have. Until that moment, it never occurred to me that someone else would have the very same photo. You never know - her descendants might be popping in any minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a wonderful surprise, Wendy! Whether there are any currently-existing copies of this photograph (from the 1870s?) I can't say, but at one time, there certainly were other copies. Hopefully, one of them bore her name. And yes, it would be great to make that connection. Long shot, admittedly, but we can hope!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Besides the date of this picture, the furniture has me in awe.

      Delete
  4. It is a wonderful old CdV. I love her hat with the long ties, it also looks like her hat has flowers onit. Her clothing seems real heavy...she will most likely remain with you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say 1860 or there abouts because the shoulder seams are off the shoulder...and this may have been traveling clothing:)

      Delete
    2. Yes, the bow and tie is interesting, isn't it? What also attracted my eye was the detailing on the furniture. If we can't find her by any name, I wonder whether the style of the furniture would help at all...

      Delete
  5. My student confirmed with her parents and an aunt that she translated the lines on the back correctly. Oh, for names on the back of every photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, please convey my thanks to your student for checking on that! Yes, sadly, there's not much that can be done without a name or other clue of that type to go by.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...